Thursday, March 27, 2008

Me and My Shadow

We all have shadows, but I have a special shadow. Really, I do!!! I have this shadow only at home and I am always amazed how quickly this shadow can follow me and turn on a dime and suddenly appear when I move the slightest bit. And get this, my "home" shadow has four legs and a name, beat that will, ya!

My shadow's name is Fred and is my one and half year old Yellow Lab, who is part cute and part dumb. With his undesirable looks of having a yellow eyes and a liver colored nose, he would have never made it in the Show Dog World, oh and did I mention he was part dumb. So he has a loving home here with us and he has so lovingly attached himself to me because I am Mommy. I feed him, play with him, and hold him...in a round about way since he is a 95 pound puppy. He is all love though and in his love he follows me EVERYWHERE!!! He sits on the floor next to my spot on the couch, he sleeps on the floor on my side of the bed, he lays on the kitchen floor while I cook, and he follows me to the bathroom and lays outside the bathroom door and waits for me.

He also seems to check on me many times a day. I keep telling him I am ok, but he insist on giving me a good poke with his nose. When I give myself my shots (twice a day) he does not miss every move I make and he wants to investigate the medicine...hey, maybe he knew the Heparin was contaminated??? Fred has a love/hate relationship with the alcohol wipes....he wants to smell it, but only from afar and if I put it up to his nose he sneezes, but he won't run away, he just politely turns his head as his eyes bulge out. One time I wiped the alcohol on his nose and he started foaming at the mouth...it was mean and I won't do that again. But he still watches as I do my shots. The day after I had my cerclage done, I slept as the girls were in preschool and Jason worked, but Fred stayed next to my side the whole time. He even woke me up to see if I was okay because I had been sleeping for several hours straight and did not move. I cracked my eye open to see the big liver colored nose in my face. I smiled at him and told him I was okay and went back to sleep and he was there when I woke up.

Fred may be part dumb, but he is all love and protective of his family. He is not a barking dog so when he does bark he is sending a warning. One of his favorite activities is to sit on patrol in the front yard and when he sees someone or something that may not belong, he lets deep warning bark and then looks at us wagging his tail as if he is asking if he has done well.

I love my dog especially when I can entertain him by running up and down the hallway and he can keep up with me as I stop and turn and go the other direction as fast as I can, just because...well...he is my shadow.

Look into my eyes.....

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I don't like dogs but I have to say that almost (not really but almost) made me want a dog.