Friday, November 7, 2008

We are eating WHAT?!?

We stood talking in the kitchen as I prepared lunch. She watched intently, with a look of horror and disgust on her face as the can turned beneath my hands as I opened it with a manual can opener. With each turn, she was able to articulate a little more of what her mind was thinking and face was exclaiming.

Lou: "Mommy, there is a Mermaid on that can." "There is a mermaid holding a magic wand on that can."

I go over to the sink and drain the can's water content. She runs to the table and tells Rae that there is a mermaid on the can. As she turns to look at me, I ask her if she knows what is in the can? Again with horror, she pierces her lips together as to form the letter M, but before I allow her to belt out the word Mermaid.

I happily exclaim "TUNA FISH!"

Lou states with all the joy in the world: "I LOVE TUNA FISH!"

The look of relief was fully noticed in her body language and she was able to relax. I told her that Mermaids like to eat tuna fish so that is why the makers of this brand put a Mermaid on the front. Oh, that got her even more excited because she loves tuna fish also. She has something in common with a mermaid. How exciting is that!

She is very glad her reading skills are improving so she can read what is in a can, instead of trying to interpret what is in the can by the picture. But she did not understand why tuna was called chicken of the sea...

No comments: