Thursday, April 24, 2008

Do I WHAT?!?!

Should I slap your face or laugh at you for trying to talk like some "cool teenager". I mean for real, you are a grown man. What in the world do you mean....Do I grok? "Do I WHAT?!?!" And don't look at me like I am suppose to know the meaning of the word because I can turn into crazy woman and knock you into last week so you can rethink what you are going to say to me. Not really, but of course the thought races through my mind very quickly as I am annoyed by what my husband has said to me just because I do not understand.

So I investigate...
I find that grok is not some new teenage fad word, but it is actually a 1960's word...go figure, eh? The meaning of grok, according to the dictionary, is

–verb (used with object)
1.to understand thoroughly and intuitively.
–verb (used without object)
2.to communicate sympathetically.

It is also used in the IT realm. Well since I am not in the IT workforce and in my line of work...child rearing...I usually use words like: "do you understand?"

Since my husband has banished me to the couch, I often hear him on his phone interviews even though I try to tune him out, my ears perk up when I hear him use the word GROK. I often wonder if the person on the other line understands what he is saying, especially if it is an older person.

Did you know that the word Grok orginated in a movie? In Robert Heinlein's science-fiction novel of 1961, Stranger in a Strange Land, the word is Martian and literally means "to drink" but metaphorically means "to take it all in," to understand fully, or to "be at one with." (My reference is Google.)

Have you ever heard anyone use this word? Leave it to my husband to use it....I say with a giggle and smile.

Now I am wondering, Do you Grok it?

No comments: