Friday, April 18, 2008

No Daddy, that is not it's name

My girls love horses including My Little Ponies, but within the past couple of months the got Pasture Pals by Melissa and Doug. They are twelve miniature horses and on the back of the case the horses are pictured, named, and described. Within a week of having them the girls could identify all twelve horses. I was impressed. The different horses are Mustang, Hackney Horse, Shire, Clydesdale, Quarter Horse, Lusitano, Appaloosa, Thoroughbred, Standardbred, Saddlebred, Pinto, and Arabian.

I have to admit, I did not know several of the horses...never heard of them...so I had to learn them in order to teach the girls which ones they were. Since Jason has had a little more time to play with the girls lately, he has gotten to experience the horse play and has been reprimanded for not knowing the correct horse. "NO, Daddy, that is not Appaloosa, that is Pinto!" While playing with horse in hand and talking for the horse Lou says "I am not Standardbred! I am Saddlebred!" "Daddy you need to say the right name!" Jason shoots me that look as if to say "How in the world can she tell the difference and how do I learn which is which?"

So he tried to make a game out of learning the names but the girls would not have it...either he knew the names or he just listened and played along. They even began to tell him what to say. "Daddy, say Hi Shire." He tried to get them to teach them all the names, but he is Daddy why wouldn't he know something, right. Lou and Rae got frustrated because they had to keep telling Daddy which horse was which and when he gave up they got even more frustrated. All they wanted to do was play why did it have to be so difficult.

If only they knew that Mommy and Daddy really do not know everything...

I am just waiting for the day they want riding lessons. Have I mentioned horses make me a little nervous...they are such large animals and I have never really been exposed to horses unless you count the Kentucky Derby.

Happy Trails to you....

No comments: