Friday, January 25, 2008

Plastic concerns

I would not call myself a tree hugger, but I am environmentally aware. I try to make safe, environmentally conscious, economical choices for my family. I do have to admit when the emails about chemicals in plastics started going around, I ignored them thinking that it was just another thing to make people freak out...and it did. It took me some time and research to really learn about plastics and the potential hazards. So I stopped putting plastic in the microwave, I threw out all the "bad" plastic in my home, I replaced sippy cups, and I am thinking of what toys are not safe. Maybe I should consider what my shower curtain is made out of too. Now I have to the attitude that I cannot undo anything so I will just move forward and make some lifestyle changes.

I learned that the bottles I really liked were one of the worst. I mostly breastfed my girls, so we mainly used them as sippy cups instead of bottles. So those went in the trash. Avent was the brand if you are wondering. I am also very sad that our Nalgene bottles are plastic #7...the worst one. So we got rid of those and we also carried those around. Our daughters even had their our pink Nalgenes and they are sad they are gone. I never took into consideration that the plastic was unsafe.

I have learned to stay away from plastics #'s 3, 6, & 7. Anything polycarbonate is not safe. Polycarbonate plastics items are usually the hard clear plastics.

Plastics #'s 1, 2, & 5 are safer to use. I am not sure about #4 but I think it is on the safer side, but do not quote me on that.

I have found a study that I found very interesting. At the bottom of this page is a link to a .pdf http://www.nurturepure.com/?gclid=CNSK8cPpkZECFRE_OAodiyeCQQ (since I am new at blogging I am not sure how to insert .pdf's yet). I think it would be better if you read this for yourself and made your own choices. I made changes in our home because I believe it can make a difference in my children's lives.

Don't worry, I will never come up to you and check what number plastic your child's bottle or sippy cup is because I do not live a perfect life. I am just trying to share information. To some it will not matter and to some it will make a difference. Happy Reading.

Cheers,
Chinell

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Joel asked me to read the counter evidence just so I would be well-informed. Here's a site that links to most of the counter evidence. I'm not totally convinced yet of either side.