Monday, February 25, 2008

Words that hurt

We all use them one time or another. Usually after we use them we feel this terrible ache in the pits of our stomachs...or at least those of us that care do. I have a hard time apologizing after using mean words even though I know my mean words could have pierced the heart of the person I directed them too...usually my husband. I have gotten better as I have matured and realized that words that hurt do nothing, well but hurt...they solve nothing.

When someone uses words that hurt towards me, I stew in those words and that is where I have been lately. I am a SAHM and very proud of it. I LOVE my job and I take pride in rearing my children. So when someone tells me I am "Just a Stay at Home Mom", I get angry. I applaud the working mother because her life is busy, but she also does not rear her children all on her own...the other caregivers help. My sister often tells me that she can't offer any potty training tips because she did not potty train her son, daycare did. I am headed on a tangent so I need to get back to my point...typical me :)

I work hard every day and I where many hats. I am a maid, chauffeur, chef, entertainer, personal assistant, educator, a kisser of boo-boos, and getter of juice...about 20 times per day, a wiper of butts, the toilet cleaner, the floor mopper, the settler of arguments, the doer of dishes and laundry...the never ending chores that multiply all on their own, and the disciplinarian that does not get heard until the mean mommy voice comes out and then about that time someone else is around to witness the inevitable meltdown of one's mental state because of these adorable little people that do not understand the meaning of the words "No" and "Stop".

Of course there are times I am the holder...the holder of that little person that asks for love by curling up in my lap. How can I say no to that?!?! That is not a waste of my time. Those are moments to be cherished, moments of security, moments of relationship building, and moments of peace. I am the giver of confidence and the one who explains why you cannot always win or get your way. I nurture, love, and teach life skills to prepare them to be functioning members of society. Ha, just a stay at home mom...I laugh in the face of any adversary that says that I "do nothing all day"...

I guess my point is that it hurts to think that people out there think that stay at home moms sit around all day eating bon bons and watching television. If "eating" playdough food while watching PBS Kids counts, then that is fraction of my day.

Actually, as I type my girls are fighting over where my glasses should go because I do not need them right now. I am also holding juice in my lap which my youngest brought to me while crying for some. I guess it is time for me to close before I get to a point I use my mean mommy words when I do not really need to. I just need to think about what I say before I say it and realize I can take control of situations before I need to use my mean mommy words with my girls.

Now I need to figure out a way to not let other people's mean words hurt me...

BTW, I love being a stay at home mom! I can write about that another time...

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oooh Girl! I am so with you. When people say to me (and it happens often), "So, you don't work then?", I always respond by saying, "Yes I do. Just not for a paycheck."

Sarah said...

Someday I will get a paycheck, and I don't think it will be quite as satisfying. I am right there with you. We are trying the undies thing this week. Yay.